The Association is proud to promote the study of the Indonesian language and culture, especially in relation to the increasing importance of Indonesia in the cultural, economic and political spheres.
The name of the Association shall be INTAN (Indonesian Teachers’ Association).
The aims of the Association shall be:
- To support and further the study and teaching of the Indonesian language and culture in school at all levels, universities and other institutions of learning.
- To offer support to all teachers and students of Indonesian on matters of concern.
- To foster opportunities to participate in student exchange programmes.
- To foster contact by teachers and students with speakers of Indonesian in the community and abroad.
- To cooperate with other institutions, societies, associations or other bodies that have an interest in the study or teaching of the Indonesian language and culture.
- To take steps as may from time to time be deemed expedient for the purpose of procuring contributions to the funds of the Association, such contributions being by way of donations, annual subscriptions or otherwise.
- To take any other actions designed to further the aims of the Association.
There shall be three categories of membership.
Ordinary Membership - open to those involved in teaching and studying Indonesian. Ordinary members shall have full voting rights.
Affiliated Membership - open to members of the public, business associations and other bodies interested in promoting the aims of INTAN.
Honorary Membership - granted to this whom the committee deems appropriate to foster the aims of INTAN, such decisions to be ratified by the voting members of INTAN.
- The general business of INTAN shall be conducted by a committee comprising the following office-bearers:
- Minutes Secretary
- together with six (6) other members.
- The committee shall have the power to co-opt members to fill vacancies on the committee.
- The committee shall have the power to co-opt members with special interests and/or abilities to serve on specific sub-committees.
- The election of half the committee shall take place at the A.G.M.: each member shall serve for two (2) years. Each nomination must be accepted by the nominee before the election takes place. The nominee may indicate acceptance in writing if unable to be present at the particular A.G.M.
- Committee members failing to attend three (3) consecutive meetings without good reason may be asked to resign.
Members of the Association shall have the right to attend meetings of the committee by prior arrangement with the President or Vice-President. Speaking rights for members attending a meeting of the committee shall be determined by a simple majority vote of committee members present at the particular meeting.
Annual General Meeting (A.G.M.)
The Annual General Meeting shall be held during the first term of each year. The business of the A.G.M. shall be:
- To receive the Annual Report and Financial Statement
- To elect the committee for the ensuing year.
- To discuss any proposal of which notice shall have been given.
- To determine the subscription fee for the ensuing year.
- To deal with any other business.
Extraordinary General Meeting (E.G.M.)
The committee may call an E.G.M. of the Association when any question of urgent importance shall arise, and shall be bound to do so in receiving a request in writing signed by not less than fifteen (15) members of INTAN.
The quorum of committee meetings shall be six (6) members.
The quorum for General Meetings shall be 25% of financial members.
Any country teacher unable to attend the A.G.M. or E.G.M. may appoint a proxy, in writing, which should be forwarded to a committee member.
Notice of Meetings
- Notice of General Meetings shall be given to members by letter at least fifteen (15) days before the date of such meetings. (If business requiring the calling of an Extraordinary General Meeting is deemed by the committee to be of extreme urgency, this requirement may be varied).
- Notice of committee meetings shall be given to committee members at least seven (7) days before the date of such meetings.
The financial year shall commence on March 1st and end on February 28 (29 in a leap year).
- Any two (2) of the President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer shall be empowered to sign cheques and to operate bank accounts.
- There shall be an annual audit of the financial records of the Association.
Amendment to the Constitution
This Constitution may be altered only by two thirds majority of members present at an Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting called for the purpose. The text of such proposed alteration shall be circulated to all financial members at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting at which it is to be discussed.
In conformity with the provision of the Australian Income Tax Acts concerning charitable, religious and public education Institutions, all of the funds of the Association shall be devoted solely to the fulfilment of the aims set out in this Constitution. No member shall receive any financial benefits there-from and in the event of the Association’s dissolution any funds remaining after its legal commitments have been met shall be transferred to an Institution with similar aims.